With gas prices relatively high, along with the difficulty and risks that comes with these kind of conventional cooking methods, most people prefer modern cooking methods like induction cooking for their daily meals. Though the initial investment is a moderately high, the total money spent can be easily gained within 6 months to 1 year. The heat generated from induction cooktops are quick enough to boil water in under 2 minutes. There is no risk involved in cooking as the the cooktop surface does not generate temperature, but instead the cookware used is indirectly heated. This heat is uniformly distributed on the cookware base, and thus the efficiency in cooking is significantly high when compared to other modes. Induction cooktops consists of only one small unit which can be placed on any countertop. But, for gas cooking, space must be accommodated for the stove as well as the gas cylinder.
There are many sorts of induction cooktops available online. They may vary in different parameters like number of burners used, Wattage, make, controls, temperature levels and more. Taking all these features into consideration, a typical home use single burner counter induction cooktop by Fagor is reviewed in this article.CHECK TODAY’S DEAL @AMAZON
About the Product
The product is given a plain design with a plain surface for placing the cookware. An additional tilt is provided in the front for positioning all the controls. The controls are all push soft touch buttons, and are used minimally to increase user interface. The surface of the cooktop has two white circles that depict the place where the cookware is to be placed. The outer circle depicts the maximum diameter of the pan surface and the inner circle depicts the minimum diameter. The maximum diameter is 9” and the minimum is 6”. Since the heat produced is spread throughout the cookware base, a 10” diameter pan can be used for cooking.
The controls include a power settings button, lock button, an increment and decrement button, the timer button, and an easy to read display button. All the values parameters selected and their corresponding values changed will be shown in the display.
Please note that the pans and cookware used must have a magnetic base to make it suitable for cooking. Induction technology allows only magnetic substances to heat up. Such utensils, if not available must be bought along with this unit. We have provided a list of some of the best induction compatible utensils for you to buy. Check it out!!
- The unit is quite compact with a width of 11.8” and a length of 14” and a height of 2”. The product has an overall weight of 8.5 pounds. The shipping weight is also the same.
- The unit has a voltage rating of 120 Volts/60 Hertz and a power rating of 1600 Watts. This high wattage is more than enough for deep fry and steaming.
- The surface of the induction cooktop has a layer of a single sheet of ceramic glass. This makes the device easier to clean after use. Rubbing a damp cloth on the surface of the cooktop makes it clean instantly.
- All the controls are designed with the sensitivity of a soft touch. This makes the controls easy to use and is placed in the perfect place, and thus is easy to access.
- The power function key when touched, will activate it. There are mainly 10 levels of power varying from a minimum of level 1 to a maximum of level 10. The minimum power that is provided by the unit is 300 Watts, and the maximum power is 1600 Watts. The different power levels are 300 Watts, 560, 650, 720, 800, 940, 1100, 1300 and 1600 Watts.
- A lock button function is provided to lock the controls in-between cooking. Thus, an accidental press on any of the controls will not change the settings.
- A cookware detection function is also present in the unit. If no cookware is present on the surface, or if a cookware that is not induction compatible is kept on the surface, the unit automatically detects it and turns off the device. Thus, very little energy is wasted.
One major disadvantage as per some of the Amazon customers is the uneasy high-pitched noise that can be heard in between cooking. Some customers have even complained about it, which urged the service to repair the unit for them. Another review is on the heat produced by induction. A user has stated that the inner circle dimension is the only area where heat is dissipated. Thus, pans of smaller sizes must be used for ideal cooking. All the users are equally satisfied with the cooking time. The heat produced by the unit is ideal for cooking liquids like water, milk and so on, because the heat is easily dispersed throughout the base. But for solid foods, cooking is cumbersome as the food has to be rotated within the hot area to have an evenly cooked dish. The power settings are accurate for all kinds of food. It’s lightweight and ease to use makes its highly portable for re-heating food in parties, use in recreational vehicles and so on.