Introducing the Fagor 670040240 Model 110-Volt Portable Induction Cooktop, which is more precise in cooking than most other brands in its category. The manufacturers claim that this unit provides almost 90% efficiency since no heat is wasted because of electromagnetic induction technology. All the heat is produced in the form of electromagnetic waves, which directly heats the surface of the pan instead of the cooktop surface. Like all other induction cooktops, this unit also heats up only induction compatible utensils. This can be recognized by bringing a magnet close to the pan bottom. If it sticks it is induction compatible. The biggest advantage of using an induction cooktop is that is completely risk free. No heat is produced on the countertop that may create accidental burning. Neither is there any kind of cylinders that has to carry gas for cooking. Thus no kinds of flames or gas leak occurs.
About The Product
The whole product is given a pure black color which gives it a sophisticated look. The top portion of the surface is designed to hold the pot and the bottom portion has all the controls needed to cook the food. The utensils placed on the surface can have a maximum base diameter of 8.5” and a minimum diameter of 5”. These measurements are marked as white circles on the cooktop surface. Although some models can use a bigger pan than its original diameter, since this unit runs on a mere 110 Volt, you cannot expect the device to produce the extra heat.
The controls are all touch designed and includes the timer mode, the temperature mode, the child lock touch, the increment and decrement parameters, and a big LED display to show all the settings selected.
- The Fagor 670040240 Model 110-Volt Induction Cooktop has a total dimension of 14x12x2.5 inches. It has a weight of 9.2 pounds, which is light enough to carry it around. Its portability is highly useful for cooking food in RV’s, dorms, boats and so on.
- The top surface of the cooktop is made of a glass coating, that gives it a smooth finish. Besides, it helps in easy cleaning after cooking. All you need to do is run a damp towel through the surface. And this can be done right after cooking as no heat is present on the cooktop to burn your hand.
- The temperature range of the cooktop is between 190 to 430 degrees Fahrenheit. There are 6 different temperature levels between them. When the unit is turned on, the device will have a preset value of the 4th mode. This value can be changed by selecting the “+/-” sign.
- The timer touch control has a countdown from a minimum of 1 minute to a maximum of 180 minutes. Once the temperature mode is set and the timer countdown is selected, the cooking process begins by keeping the food filled utensil on the cooktop. Till then the device will be in standby mode.
- The lock button on the cooktop is provided for the user to prevent accidental change in settings in between cooking. Once the cooking process has started, the lock button can be pressed so that all the keys are locked. Thus no one can mess up with it.
- The cooktop is equipped with an overvoltage and undervoltage sensor, that turns off the device as soon as it detects an extreme spike in its input voltage on both sides.
- The cooktop will jump to standby mode if no cooktop is kept on the surface of the unit. The cooktop runs for 30 seconds before turning off. This in turn helps in saving more electricity.
- All kinds of errors that can happen during use will be notified to the user. The errors will be shown on the small LED display using short codes. They can be interpreted by reading their corresponding message in the user’s manual. The instructions on what should be done to rectify these errors are also given in the user’s manual.
All the reviews in Amazon are mixed. While most of the positive comments outweigh the negative ones, all of them must be noted. All the positive comments include the precision in heating and cooking food in small pans. As no heat is dispersed, this unit helps cooking in a cool environment. The easy cleaning and high efficiency are also some points to be noted. The timer setting feature was also applauded. As soon as the countdown is over, the device automatically shuts down. This feature is a great help for the busy cook.
The negative comments include the difficulty in using the controls. Just a simple press may sometimes not suffice, a hard tap may sometimes be needed. Another user says that there is a hot spot in the center of the pan. That is, even though the heat is to be distributed throughout a 8.5 inch pan, the heat levels remain higher in the center around 5 inches. This may be because of the power limitations and fuse breaker size that the heat is limited to the inner 5 inch diameter. This unit should not be compared with a 220 Volt induction cooktop. Since the performance of this device is alright for the price it is delivered for, its advantages like heat adjustment precision, quick response and so on makes it a must buy.